There are two versions to the Pleated Playsuit, a short and a long pants version. Being almost winter in Australia, I immediately went for the long pants version. I made the 2/3 size, and it fits really well on Ember who is almost 19 months-with plenty of room to grow.
For me, this pattern really screamed for something big, bold and colourful. The main fabric I chose is from the collection Super, by Gudrun Erla for Red Rooster Fabrics. The contrast is some blue floral quilt backing I had left over from a quilt...which is still sitting rolled up waiting to be quilted!
|Wider shoulder ties|
The other thing I had to change was the pant leg length! Although my daughter is smack on average height for her age, they were way too long! In the end I think I cut off 2 1/2" before attaching the cuffs. This then made them the perfect ankle length needed. I highly recommend testing the pant length on your intended wearer before sewing the cuffs on, just in case some modifications are needed.
|Faux piping on pockets [please excuse the grubby marks]|
Overall I found the pattern very easy, the instructions are well explained and have clear photos. I do not doubt a beginner could accomplish this pattern with minimal problems.
It looks great with a long sleeved top underneath too, so we'll get plenty of wear out of them over the colder months. I'm also going to attempt them in some thicker, warmer fabrics and see how they turn out. I also have a few ideas for modifications up my sleeve which I'm going to try out when I have a chance, so stay tuned!